If you are in the market for your first laptop, or you are looking to upgrade the one you have now, you know that it can be an overwhelming process. Keep these 15 tips in mind to help you, and you will find the laptop that is right for you.
1. What do you need it to do? - The
first thing you should think about is what the purpose of the laptop
will be for you. If you only need to surf the internet, you will not
need the same kind of laptop that a developer does.
Life - Not all batteries for laptops are created equal. Decide how long
you will need to keep your laptop away from a power source. Will you
need it for cross county flights, or do you just want to walk around the
house with it?
3. Size - The heavier and bigger the laptop, the
less mobile it will be. Once you narrow down your choices, compare the
size of the machines.
4. Screen Resolution and Size - The three most common screen sizes are 17in, 15in, and 13in.
Processing Speed - Computers are getting faster every year, but there
is a cost associated with speed. If you are not running engineering
programs, you probably don't need the fastest processor.
Storage - If you choose to store the bulk of your pictures, documents,
music and other files in the cloud, then you will not need a lot of
storage space. If the opposite is true, then be prepared that more than
128GB is going to cost you.
7. Optical Drive - If you use a CD burner or regularly watch DVDs on your laptop, you are going to need one of these.
8. Ports - A USB port is common. Depending on your use, you may also need an Ethernet Port, an SD card slot, and HDMI output.
Security - The days of only being able to access a computer with a
password are long gone. If you need more security, you can have
fingerprint scanning and face recognition.
10. Warranty - Most warranties do not cover physical damage. You will need extra if you are worried about cracked screens.
11. Release Cycles - For the most value and newest technology, choose a recently released model.
12. Are you a MAC or a PC? - Learn the differences between the two systems to determine the best fit for you.
13. Games - If you are an avid gamer, you will need newer technology.
14. Documents - When you get your new laptop, make sure you have all the documents that go with the applications on it.
15. Brand - Choose a reputable brand if you want support that will be around when you need it.